Rutgers School of Business – Camden Academic Services Office
Address: 227 Penn St., Second Floor, Camden, NJ 08102
Phone: (856) 225-6216
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 9 am-4:30 pm (Some evening hours are available by appointment Tuesday &Thursday with at least 48 hours’ notice)
Contact our main office directly to schedule an appointment during these hours.
Students are responsible for keeping themselves informed of the policies, procedures, and changes announced in RSBC, Campus and University publications, mailings and emails to students.
What is Academic Advising?
Academic Advising is an educational process that, by intention and design, facilitates students’ understanding of the meaning and purpose of higher education and fosters their intellectual and personal development toward academic success and lifelong learning. Academic advising should be ongoing throughout your college career. It helps you clarify your personal, educational, and career goals, and to understand how your courses fit into your goals for the future.
The following values guide academic advising at Rutgers-Camden:
- Student success
- Mutual respect
- Open communication
- Honesty and integrity
- Personal and professional accountability
- Relationship building
Through engagement in the shared relationship that defines the academic advising partnership at Rutgers-Camden, students will demonstrate learning, engagement, and achievement in the following areas:
- Embrace self-discovery
- Understand strengths and values as they relate to their academic, career, and life goals
- Become independent, self-directed learners with the ability to advocate effectively for themselves
- Understand the importance and value of higher education to their futures
- Embody responsible citizenship by respecting individual differences and broadening their perspectives
- Set realistic goals consistent with their strengths, values, and interests
- Understand major, general education, degree, and graduation requirements
- Become knowledgeable about and responsible for relevant university policies, procedures, expectations, and deadlines.
- Develop a realistic educational plan
- Explore connections between academic and career interests and examine ways to incorporate experiential learning opportunities into the educational plan
Campus and Community Resources
- Learn to successfully navigate the Rutgers-Camden campus and its processes
- Become familiar with and use campus and community resources in order to optimize their undergraduate experience
- Understand and respect the roles of advisor and advisee in the advising relationship
- Be involved in campus and community activities as a way to build and sustain lasting personal and professional relationships
- Actively connect with faculty, staff, and students in and outside the classroom
Experiential Learning and Opportunities
- Apply what they are learning in the classroom through engagement in campus-based and community-based learning experiences
- Explore and participate in opportunities to enrich understanding of diversity in a local and global context
Advisor-Advisee Expectations for Professional Advisors and Students
Academic advising is a two-way street. Your professional advisor has responsibilities to you, but you must also fulfill expectations.
You can expect your advisor to:
Your advisor expects you to: