School of Business Study Program and Trip to South Africa
The School of Business–Camden (SBC) offers a three-credit course on doing business in South Africa. The program highlight is a 12-day study trip over Spring Break to South Africa (March 12 – March 24, 2014), where we will visit businesses, government, and non-profit/community institutions and organizations to learn more about management and marketing practices in this region.
The trip includes stays in Cape Town and Johannesburg. Our trip includes meetings with small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), global companies (e.g., Pick n Pay and Pepsico/Simba), and government entities (e.g., Port of Cape Town). Other highlights include:
- Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned during the apartheid era;
- The Cape of Good Hope and South Africa’s expanding wine industry near Stellenbosch;
- Townships such as Soweto and Langa, where SMEs and other business economic development and community organizations are expanding since the dismantling of apartheid policies; and
- Kruger National Park (or similar) where we will view wildlife (e.g., elephants, giraffe, zebra) and learn about the importance of the tourism industry to the country.
Students: Open to MBA and undergraduate business students (30 in total), by application.
Credits: 3 credits; students earn their choice of business administration (Undergraduate only), international business (MBA), management, or marketing credits.
Class Meetings: Non-traditional class meeting schedule includes four pre-trip class meetings on Saturdays in January and February from 10 to 1pm, plus two post-trip class meetings in April.
Faculty: Professor Carol Kaufman-Scarborough is responsible for academic instruction. Cal Maradonna, SBC Adjunct Instructor and retired Dean of Students for the Camden campus, leads the trip.
Costs: In addition to paying for tuition as applicable, each student pays approximately $3799 for trip-related expenses. This fee covers airfare, hotel accommodations (shared rooms), travel fees, most entry fees, and some meals while on the trip.
Attend one of the following Information Sessions:
- Monday, October 21st: 12:00 noon to 1:10 pm
- Tuesday, October 22nd: 12:20 to 1:20pm
- Tuesday, October 22nd: 4:30 to 5:30 pm
Location: Business and Science Building Conference Room 231
For details, go to: http://business.camden.rutgers.edu/sacourse/
Please direct questions to: