Ariel Adels

1. Ariel, prior to college you were homeschooled. Staying local was obviously important to you as a transfer student from Rowan College at Gloucester County (RCGC). What were some of your deciding factors when you compared RUC vs some other universities in your backyard?
As my search for a university continued, I knew I wanted an environment that would grow my skills as a professional and find connections that would help me jump start my career. Originally, I had my sights on Montserrat College of Art, Moore College of Art & Design, University of the Arts, and California Institute of the Arts, but all of these were insanely expensive and out of state. Around the time I was at RCGC, a friend of mine brought up Rutgers’ Bridging the Gap Program. After meeting with the Head of Graphic Design, Allan Espiritu, and learning that my tuition could be fully covered by Bridging the Gap, I knew Rutgers was where I was meant to be! There weren’t any other universities in my area that were as close, cost effective, and had a suitable design or marketing program.

2. How was the transition from RCGC to Rutgers – Camden?
The transition was actually pretty seamless. Almost all of my classes transferred without any issue. Talking to advisors and peers also helped me figure out how to navigate all of the resources Rutgers has to offer.

3. That is great to hear, we have many students transfer in from RCGC and become very involved. You joined the Arts Students League (ASL) upon arrival. What got you into arts and design growing up?
Ever since I can remember, anything creative has always drawn me in. My mother tells me I was already drawing forced perspective at 5 years old, the medium being crayon scribbles of course. Because I was homeschooled, I could easily finish all of my work and then spend the rest of that time painting and drawing. Little did I know that this gave me an advantage of being able to hone my skills so that I knew what I wanted to do for my major. I’ve had my hands in all sorts of mediums ranging from photography, collage, painting, drawing, book-binding, knitting, sewing, weaving, paper folding, ceramics, and more. The only way to merge all of these skills and make myself marketable was to become a graphic designer!

4. That’s tremendous! Last year you decided to minor in marketing, what was your thought process behind tying those two fields together?
Although the design field is somewhat saturated, most designers don’t have the marketing know-how needed to differentiate themselves. Time and time again, I’ve heard how design and marketing teams often work closely together. Almost every design job I’ve found suggested marketing experience, and almost every marketing position required design experience! It seemed like a no-brainer to combine the two! Additionally, my illustration background further sets me apart. This killer combo helps me be more marketable; not just for marketing jobs, but for marketing myself as a brand.

5. It’s amazing that with all you do, you still have time and energy to work on-campus! What have you gotten out of your on-campus work experiences?
There are so many great aspects of working here at Rutgers–Camden. Through being a student worker, I was able to earn money to finance my studies while also gaining real-world experience in my field before I graduate. So many jobs expect you to have two to three years of design experience and because of Rutgers-Camden, I can use that to set me apart. I am also grateful to my bosses for continually supporting me and giving me input on how I can improve as a professional. Not only are they my coworkers, but they have also become my friends.

6. Sounds like you’ve really gotten everything you can out of those experiences! While your commencement means losing you as our Student Worker Graphic Designer, we are so excited to see what the future holds for you. What do you have going on off-campus?
This past summer, I began an internship at Atkin Olshin Schade Architects where I’ve put together proposals and presentations as well as improved my digital marketing. This internship was originally supposed to last until the end of the summer, however they liked me so much that they kept me on! I also freelance on the side for various clients, like the Alice Paul Institute for their NJ Women Vote marketing campaign. After graduation, I plan on working for a design or ad agency in Philadelphia, although I am also looking into a graphic design internship for Disney.

7. What a head-start you have on other future designers! What has surprised you the most about Rutgers – Camden from the time you arrived?
Rutgers–Camden is both very big and small; small enough that you can forge close relationships with peers and professors, but big enough that there are numerous opportunities & resources available. I’m so glad I came here! I was also surprised at the diversity of this close-knit campus. Because so many cultures and ethnicities come together here, I have been able to become more open as a person and learn so many things I wouldn’t have otherwise.

8. What’s one piece of advice that you would give to other community college students looking to transfer?
It’s your responsibility to push yourself to be better. If you can, try to improve your skills before you come to college; you’ll be so much better prepared! Once you do get to college, be as involved as you can with activities on-campus and off-campus! Take advantage of all of the opportunities you can. Make great friends, and connect with your teachers!

Scroll to Top

BLDP Shadowing Days Application

After being notified of a match, students are responsible for providing personal information to the matched executive (e.g., current resume and cover letter with information on career ambitions). The information on this application is for internal use only, for us to match you as well as possible with and executive from among our alumni database.

BLDP Application

The Spring 2021 Application is now open! 

Priority will be given to applications received by Sunday, November 15, 2020. Applications are accepted until all seats are filled. Space is limited, so apply early!

The seminar application process is our gateway for entry into the program. Upon acceptance into BLDP, students will be emailed their acceptance letter plus a special permission number allowing registration for the BLDP seminar.

Requirements

Seminar applications are solicited each semester and require

1. completed application form (submitted online and found elsewhere on this website),
  2. a personal essay, and
  3. two letters of recommendation (one academic; one other).

Rutgers-Camden students are invited to apply to apply for enrollment in the BLDP seminar. All applicants are expected to meet both of the following selection criteria:  Have sophomore standing or above and have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above. First-semester transfer students will be evaluated based on their GPA earned at Rutgers. Students who fail to meet these admission criteria may still be allowed to apply for (and possibly enroll in) the BLDP seminar, but they will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

The director balances evaluations to make final decisions on people accepted for the seminar (up to a maximum of 15-20 each semester).

Students who are admitted to the BDLP are rquired to adopt the BLDP Code of Conduct. A signed contract is required from each student.

Students may count activities toward “leadership units” that were initiated prior to taking a seminar, as long as those activities occur primarily during their enrollment in their academic program.

Application for Admission to BLDP Seminar

Applications For BLDP Seminar will be ongoing until class is filled.

• * Indicates a required field.

• Contact Information

• Academic Information

• Please enter a number from 0 to 500.
  • Transfer students only.
  • Employment Information

• List relevant employment history

• EmployerPositionDates of Employment 
  • School Leadership Information

• Provide evidence of leadership initiative while enrolled in school by listing all school-based organizations and activities in which you have held a leadership role while a student.

• OrganizationRoleDates 
  • Community Leadership Information

• Provide a list of community or volunteer activities in which you engaged in a leadership role.

• OrganizationRoleDates of Activity 
  • Essay

• Please write a short essay between 150 to 350 words, in which you discuss the reasons why your application should be considered for the Business Leader Development Program, including what you hope to gain from the program and what you can contribute.

• Additional Submission Instructions

• For your application to be complete, this form and TWO REFERENCE LETTERS must be on file in the Director's office. Ideally, you will receive one letter from an academic source (e.g., a former or current instructor), and one from a business source (e.g., a former employer - even if for a part-time or volunteer position). Your letter writers should mail them directly to: Dr. Oscar Holmes IV, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs, Rutgers University, School of Business, 227 Penn Street, Camden, NJ 08102 or email the letters to oscar.holmesiv@rutgers.edu.

Please only submit one application. If you experience any technical problems or need to submit the application again, please contact ldrshp@camden.rutgers.edu.

Thank you.

• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.