Kevin Tan

Kevin, you decided to come here after graduating from Moorestown High School, why did you choose Rutgers School of Business – Camden?
I knew I wanted to go to a well-known school, but didn’t want to travel too far away from home. I also didn’t want to go to larger school where I’d just be a number. After all my research, Rutgers SBC was definitely the best fit.

What originally made you want to get into the Finance major?
I grew up with a father who taught my brother and I to manage our money and to not spend it frivolously. I chose Finance because I always wanted to work for one of my favorite companies in their financial department and help with their budgeting.

Have you gotten involved on-campus outside of the classroom?
I joined Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) my junior year hoping to get connections for a job, but then realized all of the other benefits the fraternity offered. I also worked as an education ambassador, tutoring elementary schools in Camden which connected me first-hand with the Camden community.

That’s great that you’ve become involved right here in Camden. What has been your favorite part of joining our Greek life on campus?
My favorite part of joining a fraternity is being part of a brotherhood who will always be there for you. I also love the impact we can make together. We recently helped fundraise for St. Jude Children Hospital, as well as Autism Speaks. We organized walks and other fun events that brought the entire community together.

What has surprised you most about Rutgers – Camden from the time you arrived?
The intimacy of a small campus and how it could positively impact my growth, surprised me. Also, I’m not a morning person. I live on-campus. So, if I had a morning class, I would wake up 5 minutes before class, throw on some sweatpants, brush my teeth, and walk to class. My friends that are upper-classmen elsewhere are often forced to live off-campus and lose this attribute.

We’re glad that you’ve enjoyed your time here and excited that you are completing your degree in 2018. Is there a favorite class of yours that has prepared you for work?
Thank you and yes, for sure. There is a lot of accounting involved in finance, so the accounting courses I took definitely prepared me for my future career.

What’s one piece of advice that you would give the current Moorestown Senior class?
Seniors, the next four years will go by extremely fast. Get involved as much as possible, and enjoy it!

Scroll to Top

BLDP Shadowing Days Application

After being notified of a match, students are responsible for providing personal information to the matched executive (e.g., current resume and cover letter with information on career ambitions). The information on this application is for internal use only, for us to match you as well as possible with and executive from among our alumni database.

BLDP Application

The Spring 2021 Application is now open! 

Priority will be given to applications received by Sunday, November 15, 2020. Applications are accepted until all seats are filled. Space is limited, so apply early!

The seminar application process is our gateway for entry into the program. Upon acceptance into BLDP, students will be emailed their acceptance letter plus a special permission number allowing registration for the BLDP seminar.

Requirements

Seminar applications are solicited each semester and require

1. completed application form (submitted online and found elsewhere on this website),
  2. a personal essay, and
  3. two letters of recommendation (one academic; one other).

Rutgers-Camden students are invited to apply to apply for enrollment in the BLDP seminar. All applicants are expected to meet both of the following selection criteria:  Have sophomore standing or above and have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above. First-semester transfer students will be evaluated based on their GPA earned at Rutgers. Students who fail to meet these admission criteria may still be allowed to apply for (and possibly enroll in) the BLDP seminar, but they will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

The director balances evaluations to make final decisions on people accepted for the seminar (up to a maximum of 15-20 each semester).

Students who are admitted to the BDLP are rquired to adopt the BLDP Code of Conduct. A signed contract is required from each student.

Students may count activities toward “leadership units” that were initiated prior to taking a seminar, as long as those activities occur primarily during their enrollment in their academic program.

Application for Admission to BLDP Seminar

Applications For BLDP Seminar will be ongoing until class is filled.

• * Indicates a required field.

• Contact Information

• Academic Information

• Please enter a number from 0 to 500.
  • Transfer students only.
  • Employment Information

• List relevant employment history

• EmployerPositionDates of Employment 
  • School Leadership Information

• Provide evidence of leadership initiative while enrolled in school by listing all school-based organizations and activities in which you have held a leadership role while a student.

• OrganizationRoleDates 
  • Community Leadership Information

• Provide a list of community or volunteer activities in which you engaged in a leadership role.

• OrganizationRoleDates of Activity 
  • Essay

• Please write a short essay between 150 to 350 words, in which you discuss the reasons why your application should be considered for the Business Leader Development Program, including what you hope to gain from the program and what you can contribute.

• Additional Submission Instructions

• For your application to be complete, this form and TWO REFERENCE LETTERS must be on file in the Director's office. Ideally, you will receive one letter from an academic source (e.g., a former or current instructor), and one from a business source (e.g., a former employer - even if for a part-time or volunteer position). Your letter writers should mail them directly to: Dr. Oscar Holmes IV, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs, Rutgers University, School of Business, 227 Penn Street, Camden, NJ 08102 or email the letters to oscar.holmesiv@rutgers.edu.

Please only submit one application. If you experience any technical problems or need to submit the application again, please contact ldrshp@camden.rutgers.edu.

Thank you.

• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.