Billy Labine

Billy, you came here from Haddon Heights High School, why did you choose Rutgers School of Business – Camden?
Rutgers is close to where I grew up and I knew I was looking to commute. I had heard Rutgers was a great school from peers, counselors, and alumni. Rutgers is also a well-known business school and my major is Management, so there wasn’t a better option!

Well we’re glad we have you in our Raptor family! What originally made you want to get into the Management field?
I’ve always wanted to own my own business because both of my parents do. My dad is a farrier and my mom and aunt own a daycare. Just from watching my parents, I was highly interested in the ownership/management portion of the business. I’ve also been on the other side of the workforce. I’ve had a job since I was 14. I certainly enjoy the management side much more

Have you gotten involved in the world of Management during your time on-campus?
Yes, I have. I am currently Vice President of the Student Management Association. This has lead me to many great networking opportunities along with learning a lot about management itself. This is a really involved club that takes a lot of time, commitment, and collaboration, much like a high-level management job would entail. This was the best club I could have joined for my major and future.

Sounds like you’ve been busy. What do you like to do in your free time off-campus?
In high school I was an athlete and a musician. I don’t play any sports on campus; however, I love to play soccer and basketball with friends. I also still play the drums. I spend a lot of time with my family and girlfriend too, but I spend most of my time away from Rutgers working. I have three part-time jobs. I do maintenance work, landscaping, and on the weekends, I deliver pizza. I have a small management roll at the pizza place, and also I am learning a management role in the maintenance field.

What has surprised you most about Rutgers – Camden from the time you arrived?
Rutgers – Camden is a very easy commute from my house. The train is really convenient, and it’s not hard to find if you drive! Also, the amount of diversity surprised me. Working with diverse cultures and ethnicities is a great way to enhance my experience. Everyone is different and it is really interesting to work with such diverse groups of people. I feel that is an essential tool a leader must have.

So, you’re only a Sophomore. You have so much time to continue to get involved, gain internship opportunities, and grow. Is there a favorite class on the horizon that you’re looking forward to – to prepare you for your career in the future?
Fittingly, all of the business classes I take really interest me. I love learning about the “numbers-side” and logistics of what it really takes to run and operate a business. I have had many professors that have made learning about business aspects intriguing.

It’s great to hear that your experience in the classroom has been as rewarding for your future in management as your activities have been around campus. What’s one piece of advice that you would give the current Haddon Heights Senior class?
College is very different from high school. An important factor to stay on top of everything is to get involved. Constantly having a commitment really keeps you moving and motivated. Also, if you see yourself struggling in classes or organizations you’ve joined, don’t hesitate to go to your professor’s office hours. In addition, there are many resources available to you on-campus. They are here to help!

Scroll to Top

BLDP Shadowing Days Application

After being notified of a match, students are responsible for providing personal information to the matched executive (e.g., current resume and cover letter with information on career ambitions). The information on this application is for internal use only, for us to match you as well as possible with and executive from among our alumni database.

BLDP Application

The Spring 2021 Application is now open! 

Priority will be given to applications received by Sunday, November 15, 2020. Applications are accepted until all seats are filled. Space is limited, so apply early!

The seminar application process is our gateway for entry into the program. Upon acceptance into BLDP, students will be emailed their acceptance letter plus a special permission number allowing registration for the BLDP seminar.

Requirements

Seminar applications are solicited each semester and require

1. completed application form (submitted online and found elsewhere on this website),
  2. a personal essay, and
  3. two letters of recommendation (one academic; one other).

Rutgers-Camden students are invited to apply to apply for enrollment in the BLDP seminar. All applicants are expected to meet both of the following selection criteria:  Have sophomore standing or above and have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above. First-semester transfer students will be evaluated based on their GPA earned at Rutgers. Students who fail to meet these admission criteria may still be allowed to apply for (and possibly enroll in) the BLDP seminar, but they will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

The director balances evaluations to make final decisions on people accepted for the seminar (up to a maximum of 15-20 each semester).

Students who are admitted to the BDLP are rquired to adopt the BLDP Code of Conduct. A signed contract is required from each student.

Students may count activities toward “leadership units” that were initiated prior to taking a seminar, as long as those activities occur primarily during their enrollment in their academic program.

Application for Admission to BLDP Seminar

Applications For BLDP Seminar will be ongoing until class is filled.

• * Indicates a required field.

• Contact Information

• Academic Information

• Please enter a number from 0 to 500.
  • Transfer students only.
  • Employment Information

• List relevant employment history

• EmployerPositionDates of Employment 
  • School Leadership Information

• Provide evidence of leadership initiative while enrolled in school by listing all school-based organizations and activities in which you have held a leadership role while a student.

• OrganizationRoleDates 
  • Community Leadership Information

• Provide a list of community or volunteer activities in which you engaged in a leadership role.

• OrganizationRoleDates of Activity 
  • Essay

• Please write a short essay between 150 to 350 words, in which you discuss the reasons why your application should be considered for the Business Leader Development Program, including what you hope to gain from the program and what you can contribute.

• Additional Submission Instructions

• For your application to be complete, this form and TWO REFERENCE LETTERS must be on file in the Director's office. Ideally, you will receive one letter from an academic source (e.g., a former or current instructor), and one from a business source (e.g., a former employer - even if for a part-time or volunteer position). Your letter writers should mail them directly to: Dr. Oscar Holmes IV, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs, Rutgers University, School of Business, 227 Penn Street, Camden, NJ 08102 or email the letters to oscar.holmesiv@rutgers.edu.

Please only submit one application. If you experience any technical problems or need to submit the application again, please contact ldrshp@camden.rutgers.edu.

Thank you.

• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.