Campus Operating Status: Rutgers University–Camden is open and operating. Rutgers faculty, staff, and students can schedule COVID-19 vaccine appointments at campus locations in Camden, Newark, and New Brunswick,
1. Tyler, first off, congratulations on your upcoming graduation this December! I’m sure you’re excited. What are your post-grad plans?
Thank you! My post grad plans are to be happy and also continuing to establish my career with JJS, where I am currently the Assistant Project Manager. We are currently managing the process of building new office spaces (ie. American Water) on the Waterfront alongside L,F. Driscoll so companies can come back to Camden. I’m honored to be working for a company that is dedicated to bettering communities.
2. That sounds like some amazing work and much needed support for the community. How did you get your start before becoming Assistant Project Manager?
I was an office manager prior to my employment with JJS. I started out as an administrative assistant for the company and worked my way up.
3. Well we can certainly tell you are a hard worker! So glad you were able to take advantage of that opportunity right in our backyard. Were you able to find time to be active on-campus as well?
I played basketball at Penn-State Abington Campus before I transferred to Rutgers Camden. Unfortunately, soon after arriving I found out my mother’s health was rapidly declining. She and my younger sister are both experiencing Kidney failure due to a rare kidney disease called Alports Syndrome. Much of my time outside of the classroom and the work-site is spent caring for them.
4. I’m so sorry to hear about your mother and sister. It takes a strong person to hold on to all of that and be successful both in and outside of the classroom at the same time. What has surprised you most about Rutgers – Camden from the time you arrived?
What surprised me the most about Rutgers-Camden from the time I arrived was the community aspect of the University. It isn’t just a college campus. Rutgers – Camden is a network of passionate, caring, and well-bonded individuals that form a home away from home.
5. When you realized you had to transfer back home, I’m sure you had many options. Why RSBC?
I chose RSBC because Rutgers is well known for its business school, so it was a no brainer for me. Rutgers – Camden is also in a prime location for anyone looking to head to the city for a night out, walk down to the Waterfront for a quiet afternoon filled with gorgeous views, or seeking close proximity to one of the major highways that connect North/South Jersey.
6. Well we’re glad that you became a member of the Raptor family. Is there a favorite class of yours that has helped you grow in your line of work?
One of my favorite classes that have personally helped me grow within my line of work is Business Communications. Professor Patricia Kline really taught me the best way to construct business emails as well as the proper way to present to a client or employer.
7. Some of those basic communication skills are often overlooked, glad to hear you had strong takeaways from that class. Looking back at your time in high school, what’s one piece of advice that you would give to the Seniors at Highland Regional High School?
Advice I would give to Highland Seniors would be to focus less on the “name” of the school and focus more on which college you truly want to attend, because it could end up being everything you’ve ever wanted in an educational institution.
Thank you for taking the time to speak with us Tyler. We wish you the best of luck post-graduation.
Thank you, and thank you for the opportunity to share my story!