Tyler Stokes

1. Tyler, first off, congratulations on your upcoming graduation this December! I’m sure you’re excited. What are your post-grad plans?
Thank you! My post grad plans are to be happy and also continuing to establish my career with JJS, where I am currently the Assistant Project Manager. We are currently managing the process of building new office spaces (ie. American Water) on the Waterfront alongside L,F. Driscoll so companies can come back to Camden. I’m honored to be working for a company that is dedicated to bettering communities.

2. That sounds like some amazing work and much needed support for the community. How did you get your start before becoming Assistant Project Manager?
I was an office manager prior to my employment with JJS. I started out as an administrative assistant for the company and worked my way up.

3. Well we can certainly tell you are a hard worker! So glad you were able to take advantage of that opportunity right in our backyard. Were you able to find time to be active on-campus as well?
I played basketball at Penn-State Abington Campus before I transferred to Rutgers Camden. Unfortunately, soon after arriving I found out my mother’s health was rapidly declining. She and my younger sister are both experiencing Kidney failure due to a rare kidney disease called Alports Syndrome. Much of my time outside of the classroom and the work-site is spent caring for them.

4. I’m so sorry to hear about your mother and sister. It takes a strong person to hold on to all of that and be successful both in and outside of the classroom at the same time. What has surprised you most about Rutgers – Camden from the time you arrived?
What surprised me the most about Rutgers-Camden from the time I arrived was the community aspect of the University. It isn’t just a college campus. Rutgers – Camden is a network of passionate, caring, and well-bonded individuals that form a home away from home.

5. When you realized you had to transfer back home, I’m sure you had many options. Why RSBC?
I chose RSBC because Rutgers is well known for its business school, so it was a no brainer for me. Rutgers – Camden is also in a prime location for anyone looking to head to the city for a night out, walk down to the Waterfront for a quiet afternoon filled with gorgeous views, or seeking close proximity to one of the major highways that connect North/South Jersey.

6. Well we’re glad that you became a member of the Raptor family. Is there a favorite class of yours that has helped you grow in your line of work?
One of my favorite classes that have personally helped me grow within my line of work is Business Communications. Professor Patricia Kline really taught me the best way to construct business emails as well as the proper way to present to a client or employer.

7. Some of those basic communication skills are often overlooked, glad to hear you had strong takeaways from that class. Looking back at your time in high school, what’s one piece of advice that you would give to the Seniors at Highland Regional High School?
Advice I would give to Highland Seniors would be to focus less on the “name” of the school and focus more on which college you truly want to attend, because it could end up being everything you’ve ever wanted in an educational institution.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us Tyler. We wish you the best of luck post-graduation.
Thank you, and thank you for the opportunity to share my story!

Scroll to Top

BLDP Shadowing Days Application

After being notified of a match, students are responsible for providing personal information to the matched executive (e.g., current resume and cover letter with information on career ambitions). The information on this application is for internal use only, for us to match you as well as possible with and executive from among our alumni database.

BLDP Application

The Fall 2020 Application is now open! 

Priority will be given to applications received by Monday, May 25, 2020. Applications are accepted until all seats are filled.

The seminar application process is our gateway for entry into the program. Upon acceptance into BLDP, students will be emailed their acceptance letter plus a special permission number allowing registration for the BLDP seminar.

Requirements

Seminar applications are solicited each semester and require

1. completed application form (submitted online and found elsewhere on this website),
  2. a personal essay, and
  3. two letters of recommendation (one academic; one other).

Rutgers-Camden students are invited to apply to apply for enrollment in the BLDP seminar. All applicants are expected to meet both of the following selection criteria:  Have sophomore standing or above and have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above. First-semester transfer students will be evaluated based on their GPA earned at Rutgers. Students who fail to meet these admission criteria may still be allowed to apply for (and possibly enroll in) the BLDP seminar, but they will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

The director balances evaluations to make final decisions on people accepted for the seminar (up to a maximum of 15-20 each semester).

Students who are admitted to the BDLP are rquired to adopt the BLDP Code of Conduct. A signed contract is required from each student.

Students may count activities toward “leadership units” that were initiated prior to taking a seminar, as long as those activities occur primarily during their enrollment in their academic program.

Application for Admission to BLDP Seminar

Applications For BLDP Seminar will be ongoing until class is filled.

• * Indicates a required field.

• Contact Information

• Academic Information

• Please enter a number from 0 to 500.
  • Transfer students only.
  • Employment Information

• List relevant employment history

• EmployerPositionDates of Employment 
  • School Leadership Information

• Provide evidence of leadership initiative while enrolled in school by listing all school-based organizations and activities in which you have held a leadership role while a student.

• OrganizationRoleDates 
  • Community Leadership Information

• Provide a list of community or volunteer activities in which you engaged in a leadership role.

• OrganizationRoleDates of Activity 
  • Essay

• Please write a short essay between 150 to 350 words, in which you discuss the reasons why your application should be considered for the Business Leader Development Program, including what you hope to gain from the program and what you can contribute.

• Additional Submission Instructions

• For your application to be complete, this form and TWO REFERENCE LETTERS must be on file in the Director's office. Ideally, you will receive one letter from an academic source (e.g., a former or current instructor), and one from a business source (e.g., a former employer - even if for a part-time or volunteer position). Your letter writers should mail them directly to: Dr. Carol Kaufman-Scarborough, BLDP Director, Rutgers University, School of Business, 227 Penn Street, Camden, NJ 08102 or email the letters to ckaufman@camden.rutgers.edu.

Please only submit one application. If you experience any technical problems or need to submit the application again, please contact ldrshp@camden.rutgers.edu.

Thank you.

• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.