Erika Tanko

1. Erika, you came here from Cedar Creek High School, what moved you to choose Rutgers School of Business – Camden (RSBC)?
I chose Rutgers-University Camden mainly because Rutgers is known for their business school, and I wanted the Rutgers degree while still being close to home. Another deciding factor was that I wanted to play basketball, and Rutgers Camden has a great athletics department. I also liked the diversity the school has and the welcoming atmosphere Rutgers – Camden gives off.

2. You’re only a sophomore, but have you gotten involved in anything on-campus yet?
I played on the Rutgers – Camden women’s basketball team my freshman year, however I decided not to continue with it my sophomore year. The end of my freshman year was when I decided to double major with Math, so I knew my workload would become even more immense. It was a great program and I loved the team, I just knew it was in my best interest to focus on school and keep my grades high enough to stay on the Dean’s list. I am also a member of the Rutgers University Camden’s Honors College, which includes mandatory participation in events/activities on-campus to remain a member. This has allowed me to become more involved on campus, and has really helped me step out of my comfort zone and become more engaged with the university.

3. Wow, double majors aren’t an easy feat. Congratulations on your academic achievements. What originally made you want to get into those fields?
I started off my education with my major just being Accounting. I loved math and wanted to do something which involved numbers. However, after having to take Calc I, I realized that math is really what I am most passionate about and I wanted to pursue it further.

4. That is great. So how do you balance taking on two majors while working off-campus?
I balance taking on two majors and working mainly by having good time management skills. I utilize a lot of the resources at the library and Honors College. I also very frequently write things down in my agenda. I have all the deadlines for assignments, tests, etc. written down ahead of time. Therefore, I know of my assignments weeks in advance and I’m never blindsided. One very big support system is my mom for she always encourages me to be diligent and get things done early rather than late. On top of that, when I do have free time, I like to volunteer at the South Jersey Food Bank.

5. That’s so great to hear how you’ve managed your time, and were even able to give back to a great organization in the community. As you look forward to what you may want to do for a profession, has there been a favorite class of yours that you feel has prepared you best?
My ethics class this semester is definitely one of my favorites because it incorporates current events which creates a very thoughtful discussion where everyone is engaged. I don’t have a lot of time to watch the news and keep up with current events, so this class really helps me stay up to date on what’s going on around the world. However, as for a class that has prepared me the best, I’ll have to say my Business Communications class. It taught me simple techniques to help look your best and stay professional.

6. What has surprised you most about Rutgers – Camden from the time you arrived?
Something that has surprised me the most about Rutgers – Camden has to be the people. The students here are very engaged and eager to express their voice and help evoke change. It’s very inspiring to see, and encourages me to not be afraid to speak up.

7. What is one piece of advice that you would like to give the current Cedar Creek Senior class?
One piece of advice I would give current Cedar Creek seniors is to stay true to your heart and not let anyone tell you what you want to do with your life. I would also tell them to always stay focused, for it won’t always be easy.

Thanks for the taking the time to speak with us Erika!

Scroll to Top

BLDP Shadowing Days Application

After being notified of a match, students are responsible for providing personal information to the matched executive (e.g., current resume and cover letter with information on career ambitions). The information on this application is for internal use only, for us to match you as well as possible with and executive from among our alumni database.

BLDP Application

The Fall 2020 Application is now open! 

Priority will be given to applications received by Monday, May 25, 2020. Applications are accepted until all seats are filled.

The seminar application process is our gateway for entry into the program. Upon acceptance into BLDP, students will be emailed their acceptance letter plus a special permission number allowing registration for the BLDP seminar.

Requirements

Seminar applications are solicited each semester and require

1. completed application form (submitted online and found elsewhere on this website),
  2. a personal essay, and
  3. two letters of recommendation (one academic; one other).

Rutgers-Camden students are invited to apply to apply for enrollment in the BLDP seminar. All applicants are expected to meet both of the following selection criteria:  Have sophomore standing or above and have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above. First-semester transfer students will be evaluated based on their GPA earned at Rutgers. Students who fail to meet these admission criteria may still be allowed to apply for (and possibly enroll in) the BLDP seminar, but they will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

The director balances evaluations to make final decisions on people accepted for the seminar (up to a maximum of 15-20 each semester).

Students who are admitted to the BDLP are rquired to adopt the BLDP Code of Conduct. A signed contract is required from each student.

Students may count activities toward “leadership units” that were initiated prior to taking a seminar, as long as those activities occur primarily during their enrollment in their academic program.

Application for Admission to BLDP Seminar

Applications For BLDP Seminar will be ongoing until class is filled.

• * Indicates a required field.

• Contact Information

• Academic Information

• Please enter a number from 0 to 500.
  • Transfer students only.
  • Employment Information

• List relevant employment history

• EmployerPositionDates of Employment 
  • School Leadership Information

• Provide evidence of leadership initiative while enrolled in school by listing all school-based organizations and activities in which you have held a leadership role while a student.

• OrganizationRoleDates 
  • Community Leadership Information

• Provide a list of community or volunteer activities in which you engaged in a leadership role.

• OrganizationRoleDates of Activity 
  • Essay

• Please write a short essay between 150 to 350 words, in which you discuss the reasons why your application should be considered for the Business Leader Development Program, including what you hope to gain from the program and what you can contribute.

• Additional Submission Instructions

• For your application to be complete, this form and TWO REFERENCE LETTERS must be on file in the Director's office. Ideally, you will receive one letter from an academic source (e.g., a former or current instructor), and one from a business source (e.g., a former employer - even if for a part-time or volunteer position). Your letter writers should mail them directly to: Dr. Carol Kaufman-Scarborough, BLDP Director, Rutgers University, School of Business, 227 Penn Street, Camden, NJ 08102 or email the letters to ckaufman@camden.rutgers.edu.

Please only submit one application. If you experience any technical problems or need to submit the application again, please contact ldrshp@camden.rutgers.edu.

Thank you.

• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.