Campus Operating Status: The university is open and operating, and classes are proceeding on a normal schedule.
Dr. Joseph Canada
Assistant Professor of Professional Practice
Office: BSB 442
Phone: (856) 225-6776
Ph.D., University of Central Florida
Joseph Canada is an Assistant Professor of Professional Practice in Accounting. He teaches a wide range of classes at the Graduate and Undergraduate levels in Accounting Information Systems and Managerial Accounting. He received his B.S. in Accounting at Florida A&M University in 2005 and his Ph.D. in Business Administration at the University of Central Florida in 2013. His research interests focus on integrated information technology and its impact upon accounting. Dr. Canada has explored this area of interest by writing publications on topics, like using integrated information systems to improve strategic flexibility, which have been featured in journals, such as the International Journal of Accounting Information Systems. His expertise in these areas has been recognized through his service as an ad-hoc reviewer for various journals, such as the International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, International Journal of Accounting & Information Management, Journal of Information Systems, and the Journal of Accounting and the Public Interest.
Research Interests: Integrated information technology and its impact upon accounting
Courses Taught: Managerial Accounting; Accounting Information System
Professional Activities & Honors:
- College of Business Administration PhD Research Award (2011, UCF)
- Doctoral Consortium Fellow (2009)
- PHD Project ADSA Planning Committee (2007 – 2009)
- Honorary Speaker, “Challenge to Change” program (Maitland Middle School, 2007)
- KPMG Doctoral Scholar (2005 – 2009)
- FAMU Feeder Fellowship Recipient (UCF, 2005 – 2007)
- Distinguished Service Award (FAMU School of Business & Industry, 2004)
- Presidential Scholarship Recipient (FAMU, 2000 – 2005)
- Canada, J and E. Kinory. (2020) The Impact of Mutual Monitoring and Enterprise System Integration on the Empowerment of Managers. International Journal of Enterprise Information Systems. 16(2): pp 1-21.
- Canada, J. and E. Harris. (2019) The Role of Web Assurance Seals in Nonprofit Giving. Journal of Information Systems, 34(2): 131-148.
- Arnold, V., and T. Benford, J. Canada, and S.G. Sutton. (2015) Leveraging Integrated Information Systems to Enhance Strategic Flexibility and Performance: The Enabling Role of Enterprise Risk Management. International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, 19, pp 1-16.
- Arnold, V., T. Benford. J. Canada, and S.G. Sutton. (2011) The Role of Strategic Enterprise Risk Management and Organizational Flexibility in Easing New Regulatory Compliance. International Journal of Accounting Information Systems.
- Canada, J., Sutton, S., and Kuhn, J. (2009) The Pervasive Nature of IT Controls: An Examination of Material Weaknesses in IT Controls and Audit Fees. International Journal of Accounting and Information Management. 17(1), pp 106-119.
- Canada, J., Benford, T., Arnold, V. and Sutton, S. (2008) The Impact of Government Legislation on the Market For Corporate Ownership. Corporate Ownership and Control. 6(1), pp. 138-146.
- Canada, J., Kuhn, J., and Sutton, S. (2008) Accidentally in the Public Interest: The Perfect Storm that Yielded the Sarbanes Oxley Act. Critical Perspectives on Accounting. 19(7), pp. 987-1003.
- Arnold, V., Benford, T., Canada, J., Kuhn, J., and Sutton, S. (2007) The Unintended Consequences of Sarbanes Oxley on Technology Innovation and Supply Chain Integration. The Journal of Emerging Technologies in Accounting. 4, pp. 103-122.