Dr. Kristie McAlpine
Office: BSB 259
Phone: (856) 225-2354
Ph.D., Cornell University
Kristie McAlpine is an Assistant Professor of Management. She received her B.A. in Psychology from Kalamazoo College, her Master of Human Resources and Labor Relations (MHRLR) from Michigan State University, and her M.S. and Ph.D. in Human Resource Studies from Cornell University. Kristie’s research explores three themes associated with the changing nature of work (e.g., due to technological advances, changing demography): (1) virtual work, (2) diversity, and (3) the work-family interface. Her research has been published in academic outlets such as Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, Organizational Psychology Review, and Industrial and Labor Relations Review and has been featured in news outlets such as The New York Times and BBC.
Research Interests: Virtual work (e.g., telecommuting, virtual leadership), diversity (e.g., gender, disability), the work-family interface (e.g., managing work and non-work boundaries, dual career couples), and human resource management.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- 2018 Best Dissertation Paper Award, Gender and Diversity in Organizations (GDO) Division, Academy of Management
- 2018 Early Career Fellow, Work and Family Researchers Network
- 2015 Benjamin Miller Fellowship Winner, ILR School, Cornell University
- 2014 Junior Scholar Award, Work and Family Researchers Network
- 2014 Benjamin Miller Fellowship Finalist, ILR School, Cornell University
- 2014 Service Award, GDO Division, Academy of Management
- 2014 Best Reviewer Award, GDO Division, Academy of Management
- 2013 Best Reviewer Award, GDO Division, Academy of Management
Courses Taught: Talent Management (Undergraduate; online and in-person); Leading Innovation and Creativity (MBA; online).
- McAlpine, K., Piszczek, M. (in press). Along for the ride through liminal space: A role transition and recovery perspective on the work-to-home commute. Organizational Psychology Review. https://doi.org/10.1177/20413866221131394
- Bell, B., McAlpine, K., N. S. Hill. (in press). Leading virtually. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-orgpsych-120920-050115
- Capitano, J., McAlpine, K., Greenhaus, J. (2019). Organizational influences on employee boundary permeability control: A multidimensional perspective. In M. R. Buckley, A. R. Wheeler, & J. R. B. Halbesleben (Eds.) Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management. UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited. https://doi.org/10.1108/S0742-730120190000037005
- Kossek, E.E., Piszczek, M.M., McAlpine, K., Hammer, L., Burke, L., (2016). Work schedulers as job crafters of employment practice in long-term health care. Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 69(4), 961-990. https://doi.org/10.1177/0019793916642761
- McAlpine, K. (2015). The ripple effect of schedule control: A social network approach. Community, Work, & Family, 18(4), 377-394. https://doi.org/10.1080/13668803.2015.1080662