Dr. Oscar Holmes IV
Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs, Associate Professor, & Director, Rutgers University Student Executive (RUSE) Program
Office: BSB 332
Phone: (856) 225-6593
Ph.D., The University of Alabama
Research Interests: Main research interests include examining how leaders can maximize productivity and well-being by fostering more inclusive environments that mitigate interpersonal and organizational threats. Specifically, his research investigates how people respond to social identity threats and construct positive identities as well as factors that lead to biased decision-making. His research has been published in several academic journals such as the Academy of Management Annals, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Africa Journal of Management, Journal of Management, Spirituality, and Religion, and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal.
Courses Taught: Leadership and Managing Human Capital; Organizational Behavior; Crisis Management; Conflict Resolution and Negotiation
Professional Activities, Honors and Awards:
- Philadelphia Tribune 2020 Top 10 Under 40 Most Influential African Americans to Watch
- Diversity MBA 2020 Top 100 Under 50 Emerging and Executive Leaders
- Front Runner New Jersey 2020 African American Power List
- Philadelphia Business Journal 40 Under 40 Honoree (2020)
- Rutgers University Leaders in Faculty Diversity Award (2020) $1,000 Honorarium
- Rutgers-Camden Remarkable 31 Honoree (March 2020)
- New Jersey Policy Research Organization Foundation Bright Idea Award for Academy of Management Annals Publication (2018)
- Mid-Atlantic Association of College of Business Administration (MAACBA) Innovation in Teaching Award (2018)
- 2018 Poets & Quants 40 Under 40 Best Business Professors
- AOM GDO Executive Committee Representative-At-Large (2014-2017)
- 2016 Rutgers Chancellor’s Award for Teaching Excellence
- 2015 Rutgers School of Business Annual Faculty Research Award
- 2015 Rutgers Chancellor’s Academic Civic Engagement Award
- 2015 A.Q.U.A.Corps Partnership Award
- 2015 Heize 35 Doctors Under 35
- 2014 Rutgers Digital Teaching Fellowship
- 2014 Rutgers Civic Engagement Faculty Fellow
- Holmes IV, O*., Jiang, K*., Avery, D., McKay, P., Oh, I., & Tillman, C. J. (in press) A meta-analysis of 25 years of diversity climate research. Journal of Management.
- Holmes IV, O. (forthcoming). Sexuality blindness: A new frontier of diversity resistance. In. K. M. Thomas (Ed), Diversity Resistance in Organizations, Vol. 2. New York: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Holmes IV, O., Lopiano, G., Hall, E.V. (2019). A review of compensatory strategies to mitigate bias. Personnel Assessment and Decisions, 5(2), 23-34. (Special Issue: Reducing Discrimination in the Workplace.)
- Holmes IV, O. (2019). The antecedents and outcomes of heteronormativity in organizations. In Oxford Encyclopedia of Business and Management. Oxford University Press.
- Holmes IV, O. (2019). For diversity scholars who have considered activism when scholarship isn’t enough! Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal, 38(6), 668-675.
- Avery, D. R., Volpone, S. D., & Holmes IV, O. (2018). Racial discrimination in organizations. In J. Colella & E. B. King (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook on Workplace Discrimination (pp. 89-109). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Ford, D. L., Ziegler, L. L., Fang, R., & Holmes IV, O. (2018). Exploring knowledge sharing in a professional network: A Central Eurasian case. Eurasian Journal of Business and Economics, 11(21), 1-22.
- Pichler, S. & Holmes IV, O. (2017). An investigation of fit perceptions and promotability in sexual minority candidates. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal, 36(7), 628-646.
- Roberson, Q., Holmes IV, O., Perry, J. L. (2017). Transforming research on diversity and firm performance: A dynamic capabilities perspective. Academy of Management Annals, 11(1), 189-216.
- Holmes IV, O., Whitman, M. V., Campbell, K., Johnson, D. E. (2016). Exploring the social identity threat response framework. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal, 35(3), 20
- Williamson, I. & Holmes IV, O. (2015). What’s culture got to do with it? Examining job embeddedness and organizational commitment and turnover intentions in South Africa. Africa Journal of Management, 1, (3), 225-243.
- Okulicz-Kozaryn, A., Holmes IV, O., & Avery, D. R. (2014). The Subjective well-being political paradox: Happy welfare states and unhappy liberals. Journal of Applied Psychology, 99(6), 1300-1308.
- Whitman, M. V., Halbesleben, J. R. B., & Holmes IV, O. (2014). Abusive supervision and feedback avoidance: The mediating role of emotional exhaustion. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 35, 28-53.
- King, J. E., & Holmes IV, O., 2012. Spirituality, recruiting and total wellness: Overcoming challenges to organizational attraction. Journal of Management, Spirituality, and Religion, 9, 237-253.
- Holmes IV, O. (2012). Hazing and pledging in Alpha Phi Alpha: An organizational behavior perspective. In G. S. Parks & S. M. Bradley (Eds.), Alpha Phi Alpha: A Legacy of Greatness, the Demands of Transcendence (pp.313-350). Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky.
- Holmes IV, O. (2010). Redefining the way we look at diversity: A review of recent diversity and inclusion findings in organizational research. Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion, 29, 131-135.