Dr. Ram Gopalan
Clinical Associate Professor
Office: BSB 439
Phone: (856) 225-6630
Ph.D., Operations Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Dr. Gopalan is a cross-trained business school faculty member, who has taught courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, in two different functional areas: operations research/management science and marketing science/marketing strategy. His background includes ten years of industrial work experience (1992 – 2002), including time with large blue-chip companies such as American Express, IBM and USAirways, as well as ten years of academic experience. He was a finalist for the INFORMS Wagner Prize for excellence in operations research practice in 2012.
Courses Taught: Supply Chain Management; Statistics; Advanced Stochastic Models; Advanced Deterministic Models; Data Mining and Warehousing; Introduction to Operations Management; Managing New Product Development; Business Analytics (developed new course); Marketing Strategy; International Marketing; Advertising and IMC; Marketing Research; Customer Relationship Management; Marketing Research and Sales Management
Research Interests: Supply Chain Management; Business Analytics; Public Sector Decision Making
- Designing Information Ecosystems to Process Citizen Input and Improve Public Sector Decision Making, fully accepted, International Journal of Applied Decision Sciences (in press).
- A Production Capacity Optimization Model for a Global Supply Chain Coordinator, coauthored with S. Banerjee and D. Golhar, International Journal of Applied Decision Sciences, Volume 11, Issue 4, 2018, pp. 317 – 333.
- Computational Complexity of Convoy Movement Planning Problems, Mathematical Methods of Operations Research, August 2015, Volume 82, Issue 1, pp. 31 – 60
- Measuring Supply Chain Risk: Predicting Motor Carriers’ Ability to Withstand Disruptive Environmental Change using Conjoint Analysis, Transportation Research C, co-authored with Craig Atwater, Richard Lancioni and James Hunt, Volume 48, November 2014, pp. 360 – 378
- The Aircraft Maintenance Base Location Problem, European Journal of Operational Research, Volume 236, Issue 2, 16 July 2014, Pages 634–642
- The Philadelphia Districting Contest: Designing Territories for City Council based upon the 2010 Census, co-authored with F. Murphy, S. Kimbrough and N. Quintus, Interfaces, Vol. 43, No. 5, September-October 2013 (Finalist for the 2012 Wagner Prize)
- To Change or Not to Change: How Motor Carriers Responded Following 9/11, co-authored with Craig Atwater, Richard Lancioni and James Hunt, Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2010, 129 – 155
- Improving Customer Experience in Tourism – A Framework for Stakeholder Collaboration, co-authored with Bindu Narayan, published online, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Volume 44, Issue 2, June 2010, 100-112
- Dimensions of Service Quality in Tourism – an Indian perspective, co-authored with Bindu Narayan, C. Rajendran and L. Prakash Sai, Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, Vol. 20, Issue 1, 2009
- Analysis of Algorithms for an Online Version of the Convoy Movement Problem, co-authored with N.S.Narayanaswamy, Journal of the Operational Research Society, August 2009
- Tactical Locomotive Fleet Sizing for Freight Train Operations, co-authored with T. Godwin and T.T. Narendran, Transportation Research E – Logistics and Transportation Review, May 2008
- The Aircraft Maintenance Routing Problem, Operations Research, (with K.Talluri), 1998
- Modeling Equity of Risk in the Transportation of Hazardous Materials, Operations Research, (with K.Kolluri, R.Batta and M.H.Karwan), 1990
- The Equity Constrained Shortest Path problem, Computers and Operations Research, (with R.Batta and M.H.Karwan), 1990