Ph.D., Bernard M. Baruch College, CUNY
Dr. Kim’s research focuses on the role of accounting information in equity valuation, and managerial discretion in corporate financial reporting. His research output has appeared in such respected scholarly journals as the Accounting Review, Financial Review, Journal of Management Accounting Research, International Financial Management and Accounting. His current research question is, “Opportunistic Use of Corporate Social Responsibility”. He was the recipient of the 2011 Fulbright Distinguished Chair Award to Yonsei University. He is also a recipient of the 2015 Rutgers Scholar and Teacher Award. He served as the president of Mid-Atlantic Region of American Accounting Association in 2013.
Research Interests: International Accounting Standards; Role of accounting information in equity valuation; Corporate financing and investment; Discretionary Costs; Financial reporting; Earnings management; Intangible Assets.
Courses Taught: Introductory Financial Accounting (Graduate); Intermediate Accounting I & II (Undergraduate); Advanced Accounting (Undergraduate); Advanced Auditing (Undergraduate); Managerial Accounting (Undergraduate); Cost Accounting (Undergraduate); Financial Statement Analysis (Undergraduate, Graduate, PMBA); Problems in Financial Reporting (Graduate); Accounting Theory (Undergraduate & Graduate); Business Analysis and Valuation (Graduate).
- Kim, S, R.B. Sambharya, and J.S. Yang, 2015, Do CEOs exercise managerial discretion to save their jobs?, Journal of Management and Governance, forthcoming (22 pages)
- Chen, J, H. Chang, H. Chen and S. Kim, 2014, Effect of Supply Chain Knowledge Spillovers and Audit Fee, Journal of Management Accounting Research, Vol. 26 (1), pp. 83-100
- Allen, Shannon, Kim, Sungsoo, and Mark Ziztler, 2013, Hedging Instrument in Post Liquidity Crisis: A Case of Interest Rate Swaps, Managerial Finance, Vol. 39 (1), pp. 47-59
- Kim, Sungsoo, Eugene Pilotte, and Joon Yang, Agency Costs and Stock Price Response to Capital Expenditures, 2012, the Financial Review, Vol. 47, pp. 375-399
- Asthana, Sharad, Steven Balsam and Sungsoo Kim, 2009, The Effect of Enron, Anderson and Sarbanes-Oxley on the US market for audit service, Accounting Research Journal, Vol. 22(1), pp. 4-26
- Kwon, S. Sung, Sungsoo Kim and Brian Gaber, 2008. Voluntary asset write-downs under SFAS 121: early adopters vis-à-vis late adopters, Int. J. of Accounting and Finance Vol. 1 (1), pp. 83-106
- Liu, Jiesin, Feroz H. Ehsan and Sungsoo Kim, 2008. Corporate Governance of the PRC Qingtongxia Aluminum Corporation, Int. J. of Managerial and Financial Accounting, Vol. 1 (1), 64-74
- Kim, Sungsoo, Edina Kovacs and Joon Yang, 2007. Managerial discretion in financial statement presentation; a case of comprehensive income disclosure for Fortune 100, International Journal of Business and Economics 6, (1), pp. 1-6
- Balsam, Steven, Richard Gifford and Sungsoo Kim, 2007. The effect of stock option grants on voluntary employee turnover, Review of Accounting and Finance 6, (1). pp. 5-14
- Feroz, Ehsan, Sungsoo Kim and Ray Raab, 2005. Analytical review procedure: data envelopment Analysis approach, Journal of Emerging Technologies in Accounting, Vol. 2, pp.17-32.
- Feroz, Ehsan, Sungsoo Kim and Raymond Raab, 2005. Performance measurement in corporate governance: do mergers improve managerial performance in the post merger period? Review of Accounting and Finance 4(3), 86-106
- Gollotto, Jamie and Sungsoo Kim, 2003. Market valuation of dot com companies: R&D vs. hype, Managerial Finance 29(11), 73-84
- Kim, Sungsoo, 2001. The near-term financial performance of capital expenditure: managerial perspective, Managerial Finance 27, 48-62
- Kim, Sungsoo, 1999. Cross-sectional valuation of R&D, Accounting and Business Review 6, 17-33
- Doukas, John, Christos Pantzalis and Sungsoo Kim, 1999. Intangible assets and the network structure of MNCs, Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting 10, 1-23
- Balsam, Steven and Sungsoo Kim, 1998. Market effect of interest rate swaps, Accounting Enquiries 8, 141-163
- Pantzalis, Christos, Chan Kim and Sungsoo Kim, 1998. Market valuation and equity ownership structure: the case of agency conflict regime, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting 11, 249-268
- Kerstein, Joseph and Sungsoo Kim, 1995. Incremental information content of capital expenditures, The Accounting Review 70, 513-526
|Dr. Sungsoo Kim, professor of accounting at the Rutgers School of Business—Camden; author, numerous articles in professional and scholarly journals; winner, Best Paper Award at the Third International Conference on Contemporary Accounting. He can discuss:|
• International accounting (IFRS)
• Capital market and accounting numbers
• Financial statement analysis
• The quality of corporate earnings/Financial Reporting
• Capital Investments and the stock market
• Earnings Management