In October 2004 the faculty of Rutgers, School of Business-Camden approved a new program, the Business Leader Development Program (BLDP) to provide enhanced leadership training, networking, and mentoring by RSBC faculty and industry business leaders.
Application submission opens each October and March via an online form. Faculty are welcome to nominate high-achieving students for BLDP membership.
Admitted students must complete a BLDP seminar during the semester following their acceptance into the program. BLDP seminars satisfy the initial requirement for members and count as a general business elective for most majors/concentrations. A BLDP seminar is offered each semester, and its topics are intended to appeal to students with diverse backgrounds, i.e., students do not need in-depth background in any particular discipline.
Seminar topics have varied from Business Success to Power Corrupted, as well as Leadership in the Financial Services Sector, and Nonprofit Leadership and Management. Proposed seminar topics for upcoming semesters are: finance (Spring 2014), marketing (Fall 2014), and accounting (Spring 2015).
Once students enroll in and/or complete a BLDP seminar, they are also members of the BLDP Community, a much larger group of high-achieving students who will have several opportunities for participating in leadership activities throughout the academic year. The BLDP Community activities include monthly Community Lunches, Chamber of Commerce activities, RSBC executive lunch series, service learning activities, and the executive shadowing program.
BLDP students may also pursue BLDP Honors designations by earning verified leadership units (click here for more information on obtaining Leadership Units).
If you need additional information, please contact Dr. Carol Kaufman-Scarborough, BLDP Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 856-225-6592, or pick up materials at BSB Office 258.
Statement of Values:
Our selection criteria and development activities are based on a belief that leaders:
- Go beyond what is required in developing personal and intellectual capabilities.
- Initiate or contribute substantially to programs, activities, or events that help others.
- Serve as a model of excellence to others in their determination, drive, self-discipline, demeanor, sense of fairness, self-confidence, respect for others and highest ethical behavior.
- Be accountable for getting things done with and through others.
Program Premise and Benefits:
The Business Leader Development Program is a customized approach through which high potential students develop the skills and habits of leadership to carry forward into their business careers.
- Through a seminar application process we identify leadership potential in high-caliber School of Business students
- By promoting the program, we create awareness of special opportunities available in the School of Business, from which each individual can select his or her preferred activities by which to excel.
- Through special recognition for program completion, we offer a mechanism for showcasing student’s leadership during their time at Rutgers. With ongoing involvement of area executives and past program participants, we supply exceptional networking opportunities to facilitate career opportunities. Every seminar includes special access to business executives (the target is at least 50% of the course be comprised of executive involvement).
- Every seminar includes emphasis on communication and interpersonal skills.