The Business Leader Development Program (BLDP) is an opportunity for qualified students to receive enhanced leadership training, networking, and mentoring by RSBC faculty and industry business leaders.
Application submission opens each October and March via our online form. Faculty are also welcome to nominate high-achieving students for BLDP membership.
Admitted students must complete a 3-credit BLDP seminar during the semester following their acceptance into the program, satisfying the initial requirement for membership. The seminar can count as a general business elective for most majors/concentrations. One BLDP seminar is offered each semester. Topics are intended to appeal to students with diverse backgrounds; students do not need in-depth background in any particular discipline.
Past seminar topics have included “Business Success,” “Leadership in the Financial Services Sector,” “Leadership: Get Your Seat at the Table,” “Crisis Management in a Diverse Global World.” Upcoming seminars include “Marketing in the Social Media Age” (Fall 2016), and “Financial Leadership” (Spring 2017).
By completing a BLDP seminar, students become full members of the BLDP Community, a larger group of high-achieving students with access to leadership opportunities throughout the academic year. BLDP Community activities include monthly Community Lunches, Chamber of Commerce activities, the RSBC Executive Lunch Series, service learning activities, and the Executive Shadowing Program.
BLDP students may also pursue BLDP Honors Certifications by earning verified Leadership Units.
For additional information, please contact BLDP Director Dr. Carol Kaufman-Scarborough by emailing email@example.com, calling 856-225-6592, or you may pick up materials at BSB Office 258.
Statement of Values:
Our selection criteria and development activities are based on a belief that Leaders:
- Go beyond what is required in developing personal and intellectual capabilities
- Initiate or contribute substantially to programs, activities, or events that help others
- Serve as a model of excellence to others in their determination, drive, self-discipline, demeanor, sense of fairness, self-confidence, respect for others, and highest ethical behavior
- Be accountable for getting things done with and through others
Program Premise and Benefits:
The Business Leader Development Program is a customized approach through which high-potential students develop the skills and habits of leadership to carry forward into their business careers.
- The seminar application process we identify leadership potential in high-caliber School of Business and College of Arts & Sciences students.
- By promoting the program, we curate special opportunities available in the School of Business, from which each individual can select his or her preferred activities through which to excel.
- Through special recognition for program completion, we offer a mechanism for showcasing students’ leadership during their time at Rutgers. Through ongoing involvement of area executives and past program participants, we supply exceptional networking opportunities to facilitate career opportunities. Every seminar includes special access to business executives (generally at least half of each course is comprised of executive involvement).
- Every seminar includes emphasis on communication and interpersonal skills.