Academic Concerns

Q. What is a curriculum worksheet?

Curriculum worksheets list all the courses needed to successfully graduate with a business major. They are available in the Students’ Reception area and online.

Q. Why do I need to have my curriculum worksheet to see an advisor?

Your worksheet is designed to provide you with accurate & timely information about your progress. It is both a record of what you’ve done, and a guide to what’s needed for graduation. Your worksheet informs you and helps you to think strategically about your educational goals.

Q. How do I know my class year status?

Students are classified in the following manner:

  • 0-22 credits Freshmen
  • 23-57 credits Sophomores
  • 58-89 credits Juniors
  • 90+ credits Seniors

Q. How do I declare or change my major/minor?

Majors are often declared at the time of application, but MUST be declared by the end of Sophomore Year. Students should make an appointment to meet with an Academic Services staff member to select or change their majors and/or minors, as Major/Minor Change forms must be signed and turned in to the Registrar to be official.

Q. How do I declare a double major?

Students should meet with an Academic Services Office staff member to add a second major and learn of the requirements.

Q. What’s the difference between a double major and a dual major?

A double major consists of two majors within the same school or college; RSBC double majors must complete a minimum of 135 degree credits. Accounting is always the primary major when double-majoring with Accounting. A dual major consists of two majors from two different schools or colleges (for example: a student that majors in Psychology and Marketing). Dual majors must complete a minimum of 150 degree credits, and all Major and General Education requirements for both schools.

Q. What is the process to take a class at another school, while enrolled at Rutgers or during the summer?

You must receive approval from the Academic Services Office prior to course enrollment. Interested students should complete and submit a Non-Rutgers Course Request form to the Academic Services Office at least 30 days before the class starts.


Q. How do I get detailed information for admission to the Rutgers, School of Business-Camden (RSBC)?

Interested students should proceed to the Rutgers-Camden Admissions website for the most detailed up to date information, deadlines and an application.

Q. As a current RU student, how can I be admitted to the RSBC?

Interested students should proceed to the School to School (S2S) Admission website for information, deadlines and an application for an internal Rutgers University transfer to the RSBC. Applicants should apply while they are enrolled in their final major perquisite course(s). Please refer to the deadlines on the S2S website:

Q. How do I return to Rutgers if I previously attended?

Interested students should complete and submit an online reenrollment application.

Q. How do I return to Rutgers if I already completed my bachelor’s degree?

Students should apply to re-enroll and submit an online reenrollment application.

Q. How do I return to Rutgers if I was Academically Dismissed or Suspended?

Students in unsatisfactory academic standing who wish to return to Rutgers should submit a Reinstatement Appeal Application.

Q. I have been accepted to Rutgers, how do I find out if I need placement testing?

Information about placement testing will be contained in your correspondences from the Office of New Student Programs (ONSP). Call them at (856) 225-6689.

Q. Why do I need a placement test?

State law mandates that all newly admitted students are required to participate in a math placement exam, in the absence of an approved college level math course. Exams may also be required in a foreign language and English, dependent on the level of student achievement. The Admissions Office or a Transfer Summary Report will inform students of the need to be tested.

Q. I have been accepted to Rutgers, how do I register for classes?

All new students must register via an Advising & Registration Day event, through the Office of New Student Programs.

Transfer Credit/Evaluation Process

Q. Why doesn’t my transfer evaluation include all my transfer work?

The most common reasons are:

  1. 1 Your initial evaluation did not include courses in which you enrolled at the time of your application.
    2 Your most recent transcript has not been received and/or processed.
    3 You may have courses which may need to be reviewed by an academic department (departmental evaluation) to determine the proper equivalency.

Q. How many credits can I transfer from other colleges?

It depends on certain criteria; more information is available at Students who are considering transferring to Rutgers from another school should work carefully with their advisor to plan their selection of courses. Please consult the New Jersey Transfer Website for specific course acceptance information.

Q. What if I have a dispute with my Transfer Summary Report?

Students should contact the Transfer Evaluation Coordinator in the Office of New Students Programs.

Q. How does a departmental evaluation work?

First, you must submit a copy of the course syllabus to the Office of New Students Programs at Based on the information provided, a determination will be made for the course equivalency. That determination will be processed and your transcript will be updated accordingly.

Q. How long do I have to resolve disputes about my transfer credits?

Students have one year from the date of enrollment (first day of classes) to initiate a dispute regarding the transfer of credits.

Registration Concerns

What is a full time “load?”

Full time registration is twelve (12) credits per semester.

If I am taking 15 or more credits and I drop a course, will it cause Financial Aid problems?

As long as you maintain full-time status (12 or more credits in a semester), nothing will change – nor will you get a refund. If dropping a course changes your status to part-time, it is highly recommended that you meet with an Academic Advisor about the implications before making changes to your schedule.

Why do I need a prerequisite override?

A “pre-req” override is needed if the registration system is unable to (or cannot properly) determine if the required perquisite course is completed. The Prerequisite Override Form is available here.

What is a registration overload?
A semester registration of more than 18 credits is considered an overload which must receive proper approval from the Academic Services Office using the Registration Overload Request Form.

Why do I need a Special Permission Number (SPN?)

If the instructor adds you to a closed course, the registration system requires an SPN to authenticate your approval to enroll in the course. The Academic Services Office provides SPN’s for RSBC courses only.

Do I have to wait to be accepted to the RSBC in order to take business courses?

There are a limited number of RSBC courses available to non-business students. Registration for upper level RSBC courses is restricted to current RSBC students. Students should contact the Academic Services Office, if they have concerns/questions. For more information about course selection and registration, students should make an appointment to meet with an Academic Services Office staff member.

Is a “W” bad?

Most students withdraw from one or two courses during their undergraduate years. One or two W grades will not alarm most employers. A consistent pattern of W grades over time, however, can be a detriment to your post-graduate job search. If you are having trouble with courses, schedule an appointment to see an advisor before you have no choice but to withdraw.

How do I take an internship for credit?

Check out our internship page, if you have specific questions, please contact Natalie Cox at

What is a “Pre-Senior Review”?

Sometime during their 2nd Junior semester (75-90 credits), students should schedule an appointment to review their curriculum worksheet with an advisor, confirm the remaining courses needed to graduate, and develop a plan of action to ensure timely graduation. While not currently mandatory, Pre-Senior Reviews are strongly encouraged.

I can’t meet with an advisor during regular office hours. How can I stay in touch and stay on top of my academic plan?

While there are a few appointments prior to 6pm each week (with 48 hours’ advance notice), some students are unable to make it to campus during those times due to a combination of work, family, or class engagements. Phone appointments are also available for most topics, though Pre-Senior Reviews are preferably held in person. When you call to schedule an appointment, simply let the scheduler know you would like a phone appointment. Prior to the appointment, email your advisor a copy of your up-to-date curriculum worksheet, along with any questions you hope to address during the meeting.

I speak a second language fluently. Can I request a substitution for my foreign language requirement?
Students may write a formal letter to the Academic Services Office requesting special permission to substitute one course for another, describing your specific case. Permission is not guaranteed and is granted on a case-by-case basis.