Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA)
Frequently Asked Questions
The MSBA is comprised of 30 credits. Students are expected to take four required courses and six elective courses. Students acquire knowledge of statistics, machine learning techniques, and relevant software (e.g., SQL, Excel, R, SAS, Python etc.) with direct applications to business domains, such as marketing, operations, finance, and accounting. With this degree, candidates will learn how to extract, collect, clean, describe, segment, and model data, as well as validate models and clearly communicate the results to stakeholders, while appreciating legal, ethical and strategic issues involved.
Most students should take Business Analytics as their first course, or concurrent with other courses in their first semester. For students with a very strong prior analytical background (e.g., undergraduate degree with a major in statistics, mathematics, or engineering), elective courses may be taken in any order.
Four (4) Required Courses:
- Business Analytics
- Data Management and Business Intelligence
- Big Data Analytics
- Machine Learning Applications in Business
Six Electives (18 Credits) - Chosen from the following courses:
- 53:010:660 Accounting Analytics
- 53:390:580 Fintech and Financial Innovation
- 53:390:581 Financial Data Analytics
- 53:390:582 Investment Management and Machine Learning
- 53:623:510 IT Strategy and Project Management
- 53:630:509 Database Marketing
- 53:630:533 Digital Marketing Strategy
- 53:630:534 Strategic Marketing Analytics
- 53:630:535 Social Media Strategy
- 53:716:502 Text Mining
- 53:716:513 Operations and Supply Chain Management
- 53:716:550 Supply Chain Analytics
- 56:834:608 Geographic Information Systems in the Public Sector
We aim to continually add new courses from which students can choose.
It is strongly recommended that applicants possess a working knowledge of algebra. Exposure to statistics is highly desirable.
We offer both a fully online program and an on-campus program.
ONLNE PROGRAM: Students in the fully online program can only take online courses.
ON-CAMPUS PROGRAM: Students enrolled in the on-campus program must take courses on-campus. If a course is not offered on-campus, a student can take the course online if offered.
On-Campus Courses: The on-campus classes take place in a traditional classroom setting. Courses typically run Monday-Thursday 6-8:50 PM EST. Saturday on-campus courses are occasionally offered.
Online Courses: The online classes consist of asynchronous elements, such as recorded lectures, readings, discussion boards, cases, and other materials that the student completes or contributes to each week. Synchronous elements may also be incorporated such as live chat office hours, homework help, etc. Quizzes, exams, assignments, and other assessments will need to be completed according to the stated guidelines of each course.
There is no on campus residency required.
If students enroll in four (4) courses in the fall, four (4) in the spring, and two (2) courses in the summer, the degree could be completed in as little as 12 months. Students may complete the program at a slower pace, as well. If students complete one (1) course each in the fall, spring, and summer, the degree could be completed in just over three (3) years. Students must complete the program within 5 years.
For domestic students, applications are due August 1 for Fall, January 1 for Spring, and May 1 for Summer. For international students, the deadlines are June 1 for fall and October 1 for spring.
Online MSBA: 53141O
On Campus MSBA: 53141
You need to provide:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited university.
- Original transcripts from your undergraduate university.
Transcripts must show the title of the degree earned and the date the degree was conferred.
- GRE/GMAT Standardized Test Scores
- Two letters of recommendation (from professors or professional colleagues) *
- Personal statement describing why you are applying to the program.
* Note: An automatic email will be sent to your listed recommenders from the Office of Admissions (email@example.com). When requesting the letter from your recommender, please make them aware of the email from admissions and have them include the following in the letter:
- Your current position, company affiliation, telephone number, and email address (preferably official email address).
- How long and in what capacity did you know the applicant?
For students applying to Spring 2023 or later, GMAT or GRE scores are required for your graduate program application. If you would like to request a waiver, please see guidelines and form at https://business.camden.rutgers.edu/gmat-waiver/.
A Bachelor’s degree in any topic from an accredited university is acceptable.
Deferrals are granted only for a full academic year, from one fall semester to the very next fall semester, with the exception of students leaving for military service. A deferral is official only when you are notified that the Office of Graduate and Undergraduate Admissions has granted your request.
Currently, RSBC offers scholarships for international applicants for the On-Campus MBA and the On-Campus MSBA. An official GMAT or GRE score must be submitted for any scholarship consideration.
More information on the requirements can be found at: https://business.camden.rutgers.edu/graduate/internationalscholarships/
You can contact the Program Director, Dr. Shankar Sundaresan (856-225-6694 / firstname.lastname@example.org) or a Graduate Team Member at email@example.com or 856-225-6452.