Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA)
Frequently Asked Questions
The MSBA is comprised of 30 credits. Students are expected to take four required courses and six elective courses. Students acquire knowledge of statistics, machine learning techniques, and relevant software (e.g., SQL, Excel, R, SAS, Python etc.) with direct applications to business domains, such as marketing, operations, finance, and accounting. With this degree, candidates will learn how to extract, collect, clean, describe, segment, and model data, as well as validate models and clearly communicate the results to stakeholders, while appreciating legal, ethical and strategic issues involved.
Most students should take Business Analytics as their first course, or concurrent with other courses in their first semester. For students with a very strong prior analytical background (e.g., undergraduate degree with a major in statistics, mathematics, or engineering), elective courses may be taken in any order.
Students will choose ten (10) courses from offerings, such as:
- Business Analytics
- Data Management and Business Intelligence
- Visualization and Data Analytics
- Machine Learning Applications in Business
- Social Media Strategy
- Supply Chain Analytics
- Managing Projects and IT
- Strategic Marketing Analytics
- Database Marketing
- Accounting Analytics
- Geographic Information Systems in the Public Sector
We aim to continually add new courses from which students can choose.
It is strongly recommended that applicants possess a working knowledge of algebra. Exposure to statistics is highly desirable.
Starting in Fall 2022, we offer both online and on campus versions of the degree, with classes offered on the Camden, NJ campus.
The online classes consist of asynchronous elements, such as recorded lectures, readings, discussion boards, cases, and other materials that the student completes or contributes to each week. Synchronous elements may also be incorporated such as live chat office hours, homework help, etc. Quizzes, exams, assignments, and other assessments will need to be completed according to the stated guidelines of each course. The on campus classes take place in a traditional classroom setting.
For the Online MSBA, there is no on campus residency required. All classes are offered fully online.
For the On Campus MSBA, many classes are offered on the Camden campus, although students may select a limited number of electives from the online offerings.
For domestic students, applications are due August 1 for Fall, January 1 for Spring, and May 1 for Summer. For international students, the deadlines are June 1 for fall and October 1 for spring.
Online MSBA: 53141O
On Campus MSBA: 53141
You need to provide:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited university.
- Original transcripts from your undergraduate university
- GRE/GMAT Standardized Test Scores
- Two letters of recommendation (from professors or professional colleagues) *
- Personal statement describing why you are applying to the program.
* Note: An automatic email will be sent to your listed recommenders from the Office of Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org). When requesting the letter from your recommender, please make them aware of the email from admissions and have them include the following in the letter:
- Your current position, company affiliation, telephone number, and email address (preferably official email address).
- How long and in what capacity did you know the applicant?
For students applying (or deferring your current application) to Spring 2023 or later, GMAT or GRE scores are required for your graduate program application. If you would like to request a waiver, please see guidelines and form at https://business.camden.rutgers.edu/gmat-waiver/.
A Bachelor’s degree in any topic from an accredited university is acceptable.
Deferrals are granted only for a full academic year, from one fall semester to the very next fall semester, with the exception of students leaving for military service. A deferral is official only when you are notified that the Office of Graduate and Undergraduate Admissions has granted your request.
Currently, RSBC offers scholarships for international applicants for the On-Campus MBA and the On-Campus MSBA. An official GMAT or GRE score must be submitted for any scholarship consideration.
More information on the requirements can be found at: https://business.camden.rutgers.edu/graduate/internationalscholarships/